Free Acrylic Painting Photoshop Effect
Automatically transform your photos, text or illustrations into acrylic paintings with this free Photoshop Action.
How does it work?
Step 1: Open your image in Photoshop
Step 2: Load the Photoshop Action and brushes
Step 3: Press play on the Action!
From there, the Photoshop Action will create thousands of individual paint strokes to build your artwork.
After the Action has finished creating your painting, there are various layers for you to experiment with.
Included is a comprehensive video tutorial walking you through how to setup your Photoshop document, to how each layer generated by the Action affects your painting.
This item is free to download for your personal projects or to just try it out! If you are using this item to earn money, please purchase a commercial license.
The Photoshop Action has been tested and working on: Photoshop CC 2019 and above.
- A simple setup. Just open your image, load the Photoshop Action and brushes. You only need to load the Action and brushes once.
- Easy to mask out any unwanted paint strokes.
- Re-ordering paint stroke layers will change the look of your painting.
- Adjust the opacity of one layer to increase the overall definition in your painting.
- Adjust the opacity of one layer to create more of a smoothed paint stroke effect.
- Increase/decrease level of detail in areas (covered in the tutorial).
- In-depth video tutorial. Time codes in description so you can quickly jump to points of interest.
- Earn money by using the Photoshop Action to create art prints, NFT digital art, stock images and more.
Important to know
- Make sure you are using the English version of Photoshop to run the Action on. All Sevenstyles Actions will only work in the English version of Photoshop.
- Check you are using a version of Photoshop that the Action supports.
- Watch the video tutorial to ensure you have your Photoshop file setup correctly. You can view the video tutorial in the above ‘Tutorial‘ section. A link to the tutorial is also included in the ‘Readme‘ file in the download.
- Use high-resolution photos with the Action for the best results and to avoid errors. I highly recommend scaling your photo into the 3000px – 4000px range (at the long dimension) for the best results. Even if your photo is only 1000px at the long dimension, scale it up much larger.
- With Adobe Creative Cloud, you can install multiple versions of Photoshop. If you like this Action but is not supported on your version of Photoshop, you can always install an additional version of Photoshop to run the Action on. Once an Action has been tested and working on a version of Photoshop, it will always work.
- Use Jpeg images to run the Action on. Other file types such as TIFF, BMP, PNG, PSD can cause issues with Actions, as Photoshop disables various features for different file types.
- Avoid using the Action on logos or clip art style images as the lack of detail and color contrast can lead to errors.
Having trouble with the Action?
- Double-check you have your file set up correctly as shown at the beginning of the video tutorial.
- Check the resolution of your photo. If its a low-resolution photo (<1000px), take the longest length of your photo and increase it to around 3000 – 3500px.
- Have a look at my support topics here. I list all common errors with solutions.
- If you are still stuck, please email me with a screenshot of your entire Photoshop interface where the error shows. Please let me also know what version of Photoshop you are using so I can help you faster. You can find my email address in the ‘How to contact me‘ topic on the support page.