Watercolor Sketch Photo Effect
Transform your photos into a hand drawn watercolor sketch art effect in Photoshop
The Watercolor Sketch Photo Effect will give you the ability to easily create watercolor artwork from your images.
How does it work?
After loading the required files into Photoshop, you run the Photoshop Action to create all the layers needed to produce the effect.
From here, you simply start painting to reveal your watercolor. Everything is layered which gives you control over finer details, such as turning on/off the sketch lines if you do not want them.
Each example artwork on this page was created in roughly 5-10 minutes.
Important to know
- Make sure you are using the English version of Photoshop to run the Action on. All Sevenstyles Actions will only work in the English version of Photoshop.
- Check you are using a version of Photoshop that the Action supports.
- Watch the video tutorial to ensure you have your Photoshop file setup correctly. You can view the video tutorial in the above ‘Tutorial‘ section. A link to the tutorial is also included in the ‘Readme‘ file in the download.
- Use high-resolution photos with the Action for the best results and to avoid errors. I highly recommend scaling your photo into the 4000px – 5000px range for the best results. Even if your photo is only 1000px (on the long side), scale it up much larger.
- With Adobe Creative Cloud, you can install multiple versions of Photoshop. If you like this Action but is not supported on your version of Photoshop, you can always install an additional version of Photoshop to run the Action on. Once an Action has been tested and working on a version of Photoshop, it will always work.
Having troubles with the Action?
- Double-check you have your file set up correctly as shown at the beginning of the video tutorial.
- Check the resolution of your photo. If its a low-resolution photo (<1000px), take the shortest length of your photo and increase it to around 4500px or more.
- Have a look at my support topics here. I list all common errors with solutions.
- If you are still stuck, please email me with a screenshot of your entire Photoshop interface where the error shows. Please let me also know what version of Photoshop you are using so I can help you faster. You can find my email address in the ‘How to contact me‘ topic on the support page.
Create custom effects
Photo effect Actions can be combined to create new effects. Follow these steps below:
- Run the first Action on your photo.
- Once you are happy with the result, save your design as a Jpeg image.
- Close your Photoshop file and re-open the image you just saved.
- Now run another Action over your photo! This will then stack the second effect on top of the first. You can then experiment with using layer masks to blend between the first and second effect.
There are so many undiscovered effects that can be created!
Thank you for your support!