Free Polygon Photo Effect for Photoshop
Create a 3D polygon photo effect in Photoshop with this free Photoshop Action.
***Available for Photoshop CC 2015 – CC 2019 only***
Photoshop has discontinued their 3D tools for Photoshop 2021 and up.
If you need any of these versions of Photoshop, you can install multiple versions by following these instructions.
The Action uses Photoshop’s 3D capabilities and the Oil Paint filter, please ensure you have a compatible graphics card. You can learn more about Photoshop’s GPU recommendations here.
To ensure you can use Photoshop 3D, open any photo and go to the menu ‘3D’. If the top menu item ‘New 3D Layer From File…‘ is clickable, then you are set up to use Photoshop 3D.
To ensure you can use the Oil Paint filter, open a photo and ensure the document color mode is set to RGB (Go to the menu ‘Image > Mode‘ to check this). Next, go to the menu ‘Filter > Stylize‘. If the ‘Oil Paint‘ option is clickable, then you are setup to use the Oil Paint filter.
This Photoshop Action is free for your personal use projects or if you just want to try it out. If you are earning money with this item, you will need purchase a commercial license.
- Re-light and color your image using the colors from any photo you choose. Demonstrated at 7:05 of the video tutorial here
- Rotate the image you are using to color and light your design into any position. Every rotation will create a unique look to your design. Demonstrated at 10:25 of the video tutorial
- Choose from 7 levels of polygon detail
- Use and color the wire frames separately
- Control the brightness/contrast of different tonal ranges in your design
- Apply glows to the highlights of your design with one click
- Choose from 30 color options
- Use a transparent image to apply the effect to
Important to know:
- Check you are using the English version of Photoshop to run the Action on.
- Check you are using a version of Photoshop that the Action supports.
- Watch the video tutorial to ensure you have your Photoshop file setup correctly. A link to the tutorial is included in the ‘Readme.txt‘ file in the download.
- Use high-resolution photos with the Action for the best results and to avoid errors. I highly recommend scaling your photo into the 3500px – 4500px range (at the long dimension) for the best results. Even if your photo is only 1000px at the long dimension, scale it up much larger.
- With Adobe Creative Cloud, you can install multiple versions of Photoshop. If you like this Action but is not supported on your version of Photoshop, you can always install an additional version of Photoshop to run the Action on. Once an Action has been tested and working on a version of Photoshop, it will always work.
- Use Jpeg or Png images to run the Action on. Other file types such as TIFF, BMP, PSD can cause issues with Actions, as Photoshop disables various features for different file types.
Take a look through the FAQ page here for solutions to errors as well as announcements regarding item updates.
Thankyou for your support!