Neon Lights Photoshop Action
Transform photos, text or illustrations into glowing neon lights with this Photoshop Action.
How does it work?
Step 1: Open a photo, type out some text or open an illustration in Photoshop.
Step 2: After loading the Photoshop Action, click the play button.
Step 3: Finished.
The Photoshop Action has been tested and working with Photoshop CC 2015.5.1 and above.
A link to the video tutorial is also included in the ‘Readme.txt’ file in the download.
- Works with any font, photo or illustration.
- A simple process to create your neon’s.
- Includes an auto trace Action for automatically finding edge details in your image to create neon lights, as well as a manual trace Action, allowing you to manually trace over an image to create the neon’s.
- Neon tube connectors (Black circles) are automatically created. No manual placement needed. Every time you run the Action, the placement of the connectors are randomised.
- The Action outputs 5 different neon variations. This is handy if you are running the Action on a photo with lots of detail, as you might prefer one combination over the other.
- Automatically converts any black or very dark tones to white neon’s. This is to ensure your image is fully illuminated and dark areas are not ignored. This is important because if your image relies on dark areas to define subjects, then its crucial those area are illuminated.
- Easy to export on a transparent background. Appearance does not change when saving out with transparency.
- Neon tubes, plastic, connectors, shadows and wires can all be turned on or off.
- Wires are created automatically, however, there is a layer setup so you can brush on your own wires.
- By default, the neon colours will be taken from your original image. You can, however, apply a single overall colour easily or brush on your own colours after the Action has finished.
- You can brush onto the plastic layer to add more plastic.
- Control the spread of colour as well as the spread of light.
- Control the glow intensity.
- Go from day to night by adjusting the opacity of one layer.
- Set an overall ambient colour using the original colours from your image or a single colour.
- You can stack neon lights – having some turned off or on. Watch the tutorial on how to do that.
- Comprehensive video tutorial. I will talk you through how to load the Photoshop Action, create the effect and go through every layer and discuss how it affects your design.
Important to know:
- Check you are using the English version of Photoshop to run the Action on.
- Check you are using a version of Photoshop that the Action supports.
- Watch the video tutorial to ensure you have your Photoshop file setup correctly. A link to the tutorial is included in the ‘Readme.txt‘ file in the download.
- Use high-resolution photos with the Action for the best results and to avoid errors. I highly recommend scaling your photo into the 3500px – 4500px range (at the long dimension) for the best results. Even if your photo is only 1000px at the long dimension, scale it up much larger.
- With Adobe Creative Cloud, you can install multiple versions of Photoshop. If you like this Action but is not supported on your version of Photoshop, you can always install an additional version of Photoshop to run the Action on. Once an Action has been tested and working on a version of Photoshop, it will always work.
- Use Jpeg or Png images to run the Action on. Other file types such as TIFF, BMP, PSD can cause issues with Actions, as Photoshop disables various features for different file types.
Take a look through the FAQ page here for solutions to errors as well as announcements regarding item updates.
Thankyou for your support!