Illustration Photo Effect for Photoshop
Transform your photos into vector style illustrations with 1 click in Photoshop
How does it work?
You simply open your photo in Photoshop, load the Photoshop Action and press play!
The Photoshop Action has been tested and working with Photoshop CC 2015.5.1 and above.
The Photoshop Action uses the Oil Paint filter, which comes standard with versions the Action is compatible with (CC 2015.5.1 and above). Ensure it is active in your Photoshop by opening up a photo in Photoshop and checking that the Oil Paint filter is active under the menu “Filter > Stylize“.
If the Oil Paint filter is greyed out for you, go to Photoshop Preferences > Performance > Advanced Settings. Make sure “Use OpenCL” is checked. If it is greyed out, then it means your version of OpenCL is not supported and that is the reason of Oil Paint filter being greyed out.
A link to the video tutorial is also included in the ‘Readme.txt’ file in the download.
- A simple setup and easy to use layer structure. You only need to open your photo and load the Photoshop Action to create your illustration. The Action takes roughly 1 minute to complete and from there you have all the layers/folders neatly organised so you can makes changes to your illustration.
- Works with transparent images, so you can easily add your own background behind your subject.
- Easy to change colors. Re-color your illustrations shadows, midtones and highlights independently or experiment with the 30 included color presets.
- Includes 14 different options for adding shape variation to the edges of your illustration.
- Includes a set of 200 basic digital and hand drawn graphics that you can use to help create backgrounds for your illustration.
- Comprehensive video tutorial, walking you through everything from loading the Action to an overview of all the layers/folders and how they affect your illustration.
Tips for best results:
- Avoid using very low resolution photos. I recommend working with images that are at least 3500 pixels at the long dimension. The Action will work on lower resolutions, but you will get better results with larger photos.
- Avoid saving photos from a messaging app and then using them with the Action. Photos downloaded from messaging apps are heavily compressed and low resolution.
- Avoid using photos that lack contrast. If your illustration lacks detail, try running the Action again, but this time increase the amount of contrast in your photo before running the Action.
Important to know:
- Check you are using the English version of Photoshop to run the Action on.
- Check you are using a version of Photoshop that the Action supports.
- Watch the video tutorial to ensure you have your Photoshop file setup correctly. A link to the tutorial is included in the ‘Readme.txt‘ file in the download.
- Use high-resolution photos with the Action for the best results and to avoid errors. I highly recommend scaling your photo into the 3500px – 4500px range (at the long dimension) for the best results. Even if your photo is only 1000px at the long dimension, scale it up much larger.
- With Adobe Creative Cloud, you can install multiple versions of Photoshop. If you like this Action but is not supported on your version of Photoshop, you can always install an additional version of Photoshop to run the Action on. Once an Action has been tested and working on a version of Photoshop, it will always work.
- Use Jpeg or Png images to run the Action on. Other file types such as TIFF, BMP, PSD can cause issues with Actions, as Photoshop disables various features for different file types.
Take a look through the FAQ page here for solutions to errors as well as announcements regarding item updates.
Thankyou for your support!