Illustration Photo Effect for Photoshop
Transform your photos into vector style illustrations with 1 click in Photoshop
How does it work? You simply open your photo in Photoshop, load the Photoshop Action and press play!
The Photoshop Action has been tested and working with Photoshop CC 2015.5.1 and above.
Make sure you are using the English version of Photoshop to run the Action on. All Sevenstyles Actions will only work in the English version of Photoshop.
The Photoshop Action uses the Oil Paint filter, which comes standard with versions the Action is compatible with (CC 2015.5.1 and above). Ensure it is active in your Photoshop by opening up a photo in Photoshop and checking that the Oil Paint filter is active under the menu “Filter > Stylize“.
If the Oil Paint filter is greyed out for you, go to Photoshop Preferences > Performance > Advanced Settings. Make sure “Use OpenCL” is checked. If it is greyed out, then it means your version of OpenCL is not supported and that is the reason of Oil Paint filter being greyed out.
- A simple setup and easy to use layer structure. You only need to open your photo and load the Photoshop Action to create your illustration. The Action takes roughly 1 minute to complete and from there you have all the layers/folders neatly organised so you can makes changes to your illustration.
- Works with transparent images, so you can easily add your own background behind your subject.
- Easy to change colors. Re-color your illustrations shadows, midtones and highlights independently or experiment with the 30 included color presets.
- Includes 14 different options for adding shape variation to the edges of your illustration.
- Includes a set of 200 basic digital and hand drawn graphics that you can use to help create backgrounds for your illustration.
- Comprehensive video tutorial, walking you through everything from loading the Action to an overview of all the layers/folders and how they affect your illustration.
Tips for best results:
- Avoid using very low resolution photos. I recommend working with images that are at least 3000 pixels at the long dimension. The Action will work on lower resolutions, but you will get better results with larger photos.
- Avoid saving photos from a messaging app and then using them with the Action. Photos downloaded from messaging apps are heavily compressed and low resolution.
- Avoid using photos that lack contrast. If your illustration lacks detail, try running the Action again, but this time increase the amount of contrast in your photo before running the Action.
- If you are unsure how to create the effect on your image, please watch the video tutorial. The tutorial covers how to load the Action, create the effect and how each layer affects your design.
- If you are getting an error, take a look at the support page here. This page covers the most common errors found in Actions with solutions.